Monday, November 17, 2014

Acupuncture fail #MicroblogMonday

A few friends had recommended acupuncture to me and I decided to give it a go last week. It began with a consultation where I was given lifestyle and dietary advice. Normally I eat a big dinner at lunchtime in the canteen with colleagues and then in the evenings I just have something smaller like a salad or Abendbrot (Bread and cold cuts, a typical German supper).

However, my chinese acupuncturist told me that I'd been doing it all wrong, that I should be eating a warm meal in the evenings (her suggestions: soup or noodles) and that I need to cut out dairy completely (milk, cheese, yoghurt and even chocolate).


After the consultation she put the acupuncture needles in (some painfree, some hurt) and left me in the room for about 20 minutes. One of my friends had told me that acupuncture makes her feel like she's floating so I was expecting some sort of amazing experience but I didn't find it particularly relaxing. (And I couldn't help being reminded of that time Charlotte from Sex And The City tries acupuncture but can't quiet her mind).


Afterwards I went to work and at the end of the day I felt a bit itchy under my top below my neck, and while scratching I realised that the acupuncturist had forgotten to remove one of the needles!! So that also didn't exactly warm me up to the whole experience!


To be honest I suppose I just feel a little cynical about the whole thing and wonder if it's actually worth doing or if it's all just a placebo effect. I know some people rave about it but I think it's not for everyone. Spending the money getting a massage would be a lot more enjoyable and relaxing! I guess I could cut down on dairy a little but there's no way I'm giving up chocolate!

9 comments:

  1. I would find it hard to trust someone enough to put needles in me. Especially someone who wanted me to give up chocolate! Love your idea of a massage instead : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it was definitely hard to relax while she was putting the needles in!

      Delete
  2. I tired acupuncture a few years ago to try to fix a sore shoulder. Eventually my shoulder got better but I'm not entirely convinced that time didn't do the healing. The jury is still out on acupuncture for me, too.

    Also: I wouldn't trust anyone who told me to totally give up chocolate!! Haha...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yea I've been asking around and some people said it made a big difference and others said they didn't notice a thing.

      Delete
  3. I would be cynical, too. I've never done acupuncture before, so I guess I don't know much about it, but I've never heard that it has anything to do with nutrition.

    I can't believe she forgot a needle! Ack! Did you just pull it out yourself? How far into the skin are they?

    ReplyDelete
  4. No. I don't think so. I am not a fan of needles to begin with and finding one left behind would totally freak me out. Go with a Spa Day instead!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah i think i'd always opt for the massage first...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Life is too short to not eat chocolate. I think that every time I reach for chocolate even though I know I shouldn't.

    I'm curious about acupuncture, but I've yet to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello! I just found your blog via Confuzzledom :)

    I had acupuncture at the end of my pregnancy when my midwife offered it for free. I was totally cynical about it, hated every last second of it but tolerated it three times (in my legs and feet) just in case it did something. I'm not sure what I was hoping it would do, but all that happened was that I found it totally uncomfortable, occasionally painful and despite the fact that I'm totally fine with needles, it started freaking me out.

    So, I'll not be doing it again ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome